Which are the top Athens’ dangers for a tourist?
Like every destination everywhere around the planet, Athens has its dangers. Not many, but they exist. Here are some, thankfully not so important!
- Be careful of the so-called “pilots“. These are persons who get into conversation with you asking something neutral, like time or lighter and become your friend, offering to guide you around the city. Avoid them gently. You will meet them (hopefully not) either while walking at the street either outside a bar.
- Taxi drivers. Many drivers wait at certain points and charge for huge amount of money, especially routes to the sea, or airport. When you enter a taxi just ask them to turn on the counter. Be careful the tariff to be simple -during the day or inside city limits- or double- at night. Also please check your stuff before leaving the taxi.
- Relaxing: Food and coffee. Restaurants, cafes and tavernas in Greece are obliged to offer you water for free. If they offer you bottled water, they have to ask you before doing so, since a bottled water is something you have to pay. Also if you don’t like anything, you can change it ONCE. You can ask the waiter and complain gently that this is not what you asked for, and they have to replace it, without further charges. Here are some price tips for Athens.
- Tourist traps. Generally ask for the menu and the pricelist before ordering anything. Also consider trip advisor, or google review before your visit at a place. Also when you shop anything, the shop owner is obliged to give you a receipt! Athens today is a really mature destination, loves to serve travelers, but just in case just let’s all be more careful!
- Crowded spaces- most important: Shopping at public places, moving using metro and buses. Some people steal wallets and mobiles, by following tourists. Please be careful when you enter public means generally, especially if you are a tourist. Be more cautious while walking in crowded streets such as Ermou and near Monastiraki area, especially Flea market. Plaka is far more safe (generally), but still you have to hide your precious belongings. Keep it in mind!!!!!
Still you can enjoy some information about Plaka here