Cosmopolitan was and is Athenian lifestyle
If you are looking for a place to feel Cosmopolitan, this is Plaka and Athens.
Socrates was the first person to define himself as “a citizen of the world”, and cynical Diogenes followed his doctrine as well, thousand of years before Carrie Bradshaw state that “I’d like a cheeseburger, large fries, and a cosmopolitan”.
Since ancient times, when athenian agora was the center of the global trade, and Acropolis was the greatest monument of all times (maybe till today) philosophers were coming all over the world to teach and be taught in Athens. Athens never lost its glory, but it was when American Archeological School came to excavate Athens that its past was brought again to human eyes.
Until then, Athens passed from Roman occupation, so a Roman part of Agora is still here, funded by Ceasar and Augustus themselves. Emperor Hadrian also completed Olympian Zeus temple, still standing there.
After Romans, someone can find byzantine temples of 10-11th century still here, next to ancient ruins. Ottomans left their mosques- and their university’s door- Medreses, is still here as well.
But there were not only Americans who excavated Athens, but Germans Keramikos and Elefsina, the Danish Piraeus and Swedish Afidnai, at Parnitha mountain.
Cosmo-monuments of Athens
Anafiotika is a must since Aegean islands are under Acropolis.
Russian Orthodox Church Community
The Russians were in Athens initially given the church of Kottaki at Kydathineon Str., which they restored. Then they asked for the church at Philellinon, which it was finished at 1855. At Kydathineon there is also today Paparrigopoulos House, at Kydathineon 27.
Anglican Church of Athens
One of the earliest foreign churches in Athens, near the Areopagus, next to the Russian church. Anglican presence exists in Athens since 1831.
Catholic Church of St. Dionysius the Areopagite
Plans of the church were made by Leo Klenze. In 1962 the wedding of Princess Sophia of Greece and Juan Carlos of Spain took place in the church. The church is located really close to Syntagma metro station, at Panepistimiou street.
Armenian Community & Orthodox church
Armenian community arrived to Athens during 1922, after the Smyrna Fire, located near ancient Kynosargous area of Athens, today named Dourgouti. Dourgouti was an area with mud and dirt, and initially hosted refuges, about ten thousand people. After 1950 many Armenians moved to better areas. The Armenian Orthodox Cathedral is located at Kriezi 10, and St. Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral, is located at 2 Rene Pio, Neos Kosmos, where Dourgouti is today.
Jewish presence was in Athens since Hellenistic period, proved by an epigraph found in Agora. Today at the end of Ermou Str., near Keramikos are Athens’ modern synagogues. Also near Kydathineon, at Nikis street, near Russian and Anglican church, the Jewish museum is located today.